Thursday, February 18, 2010

UGGG Tadpoles!!!!

Ok so long story short, in Florida we got Seth a frog habitat for his birthday. Got to Colorado and got the nature table all set up in the school room and I asked Jeff to suprise him with a couple tadpoles. So Jeff goes to the nearest pet/fish store to pick up about three little tadpoles to put in his habitat, so he can see the life cycle of an amphibian! WELL about an hour or so he gets home with the biggest tadpoles I have ever seen in my life!!! Bullfrog tadpoles about 3 inches long at least!! They are TOOO big for the habitat! So we did the best we could with what we had and put them in a plastic "spring mix" salad container with a couple rocks and they seemed to be ok. So the next thoughts that went through my head and out my mouth was..ok, this only has to work for a little while, in a couple weeks they will grow their legs and lungs and we can set the free...right....WRONG! Seth seems to think these little big creatures will make a great pet(i think hes desperate)and talks Jeff into telling him he can keep them...so I said they needed a bigger home...WITH A LID!! Soooo, this morning while we were in school Jeff went out and got a tank so Seth and I are trying to recreate a habitat for these little guys whom we have taken a crazy liking to! They are kinda cute if you can get past the slimy, bumpy exterior...I guess! (Aunt Susan if you are reading this I hope you still love us...lol)so now is when I get on the internet to look up bullfrogs only to find out they are active at night they make a loud, long croaks..mating call done at night..it could take up to 3 seasons for them to develop back legs..sometimes longer, and the longer it takes to get legs the BIGGER they will be. They eat live crickets and meal worms and they can live average 7-10 years!!! ok lesson learned!!!!










All we need now are some plants and I think we did a pretty good job and it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment